The Upper Spencer Gulf Common Purpose Group (trading as ‘Spencer Gulf Cities’) was incorporated in 1998 as a forum for the regional cities of Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla 1998 to share information, jointly implement initiatives, provide a united voice and work with Government, industry and other stakeholders in the interest of improving the long term sustainability of the region.
Our focus is to provide a strong, united voice and advocacy for the Upper Spencer Gulf; facilitate stronger collaboration and operating efficiencies across the three Councils and: support the economic transition of the Upper Spencer Gulf to cleaner, more innovative, liveable and economically diverse regional cities by:
- Realising our potential in storage-based renewable energy generation and new technology testing; value-adding and innovation in agriculture and arid-smart technologies; advanced manufacturing in minerals processing; event, cultural and marine tourism; and defence.
- Improving higher education, skills and research capabilities in our region to support these emerging sectors.
- Strategic infrastructure to improve our role as a transport intermodal hub, including expanding existing, under-utilised port facilities in Port Pirie and Whyalla and an alternative national highway crossing of the gulf at Port Augusta.
- Strengthening the role of Pt Pirie, Whyalla and Pt Augusta as regional service centres and improving community confidence and city liveability through facility upgrades; mainstreet redevelopment and activation; and improved buffer zones between heavy industry and city centres.
|SGC Annual Summary 2016&17||0.2 MB||102|
|USGCPG Constitution 2017 Current||0.1 MB||102|
|USGCPG Strategic Plan 2010-2015||0.8 MB||102|
|USG Strategic Plan 2016-18||0.2 MB||108|
|Annual Summary 2019||1.2 MB||113|
|CPG Annual Report 2000||0.8 MB||114|
|USGCPG Strategic Plan 1999||4.8 MB||138|
|SGC Annual Summary 2017&18||86 KB||149|
|USGCPG Constitution 1999||1.0 MB||195|
Spencer Gulf Cities is owned by the Port Augusta, Whyalla and Port Pirie Councils and governed by a board comprising:
- Mayor Brett Benbow
- Proxy -Deputy Mayor Phil Brown
- Ex Officio – Mr John Banks (CEO)
- Mayor Clare McLaughlin (deputy chair)
- Proxy -Deputy Mayor Rick Santucci
- Ex Officio – Mr Chris Cowley (CEO)
- Mayor Leon Stephens (chair)
- Proxy -Deputy Mayor Alan Zubrinich
- Ex Officio - Mr Peter Ackland (CEO)